Friday, September 19, 2008

Fundamental Generational Differences

Yesterday is struck me that no matter how much people believe they will turn into their parents, it just isn't true.
My mom was eager to be my Friend.
I know that my children need rules, discipline and love from me. They already have Friends. I need to be Mom.
My mom took little interst in my obsessions likes.
As much as I hate it, I sit through Naruto, Legend of Zelda and Chowder games and thorough explanations, because THEY are excited about these things.
My mom spoke openly in front of me, assuming that kids don't see/hear/understand what's going on around them.
I know that little pitchers do indeed have big ears, whatever the hell THAT means. I don't speak about sex, finances or family drama in front of my kids.
My mom thought it funny to tell obscene and off color jokes in front of me. I won't even tell you the first joke I repeated, and I didn't even understand it at the time.
I won't allow hurtful, mean or racist jokes or comments - not just around my kids, but around anyone.
Now, this is not meant in any way to bash my mother. She has a lot of fantastic qualities, she has the biggest heart I've ever seen, and she'd do anything for anyone in need. I'm simply saying that the old adage about turning into your mother doesn't have to be true.
Oh, and the biggest fundamental difference of the week:
My mom thinks the music my sons listen to is "obnoxious"
I think Barry Manilow is obnoxious.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I agree. Your mom sounds a lot like mine was as I was growing up. I don't want to be a good friend to the boys, I want to be a good mom. I try not to make the same mistakes my mom did. I don't know how well I am doing but I do try.

Wineplz said...

I'm sorry...I'm still laughing at "I think Barry Manilow is obnoxious." Mostly because we have one of his boxed-sets. LOL!