Friday, February 8, 2008

We're Not Perfect Friday

Alright, this post is for Nikki Jo. Today is the day where I will tell you all how I am not a perfect mom, how I’m human, make mistakes, and refuse to lie to make myself look better in the eyes of others. The bottom line for me is that I love my children fiercely, absolutely, with no equivocations. But am I the perfect PTA mom? Absolutely not. Life is hard and fast, and some days they have pancakes for dinner. Here are the top ten things I’m sharing in honor of We’re Not Perfect Moms…

1) I spend all day at work missing my kids, but then when I get home and they fight and scream constantly, I lose my patience. Some days I resort to yelling, thankfully DH sweeps in and calms everything down and reminds me that they’re just kids, of course they’re loud.
2) Some nights I sit by myself and read instead of spending that time with them. On those days, the like the Wii better than me anyway.
3) When I shove a mildly sick kid off to school because I have to go to work, I feel bad, but that doesn’t stop me from doing it. I’ve learned that if he’s really sick, the school will call me.
4) I hold other people to higher standard than myself, when it comes to my children. It’s not okay for someone else to snap at them or be impatient.
5) Yesterday, when my older son forgot to brush his teeth, I made him rinse with Listerine before we ran out for school instead of sending him back upstairs to actually brush.
6) My little one is 4, and has just gone to the dentist for the 1st time. Yep, I know that’s horrible.
7) My older son watches movies and plays video games that aren’t age appropriate. Resident Evil, Red Steele, and Scary Movie 3.
8) When my kids were younger, I’d silently pray for someone to take care of them when they were sick, because I was always afraid I wouldn’t know what to do. Now, I feel as if I’m the only one qualified to be with them when they’re not well.
9) My husband accuses me of coddling the boys, and it’s true. They’re mine, and real life is hard enough. Let me try to make things fair and easier for them while I still can.
10) Last but not least, most nights when I promise them I’ll come back in, yet again, after the last good night, bed time story, affirmations of love and another glass of water, I don’t.

Be sure to come back next Friday and find out why I'm not a perfect wife, either!

5 comments:

J said...

Strange. A lot of these could hold true for me and my kids.
I can really relate to #2, My older one was more into playing Halo 3 with strangers than doing stuff with me on our weekly vists.

Nikki said...

LMAO @ all of the above. Dude. My 7 and 9 year olds play WOW. And sometimes the 4 year old. The neighbors are agast with horror!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WRITING THIS!!!!! It was really good for me to read!

Kendra Field said...

Amen, sister! :)

Veronica Garcia said...

Most of these brought a tear to my eye and touched my heart because I relate so very much to you, especially on numbers 1, 2 (don't read, jump on the laptop though), 3, 6, 8, AND 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could cuddle my son until he turns 50, I would.

Laura Marchant said...

So true! I am guilty of being on the laptop instead of spending that time with her in the mornings. Sometimes I just need a break from play doh and coloring!