Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Know Why the Caged Bird...


Yesterday we took the kiddies to get haircuts at a new shop that we like. Isaiah opted for a faux hawk, which he pronounces, "Po Hawk". Anyway, there was a bird cage on the floor, with a bright yellow and orange bird inside. After watching him for a minute, it made me sad. I can't understand why you'd take something so bright and beautiful and lock it in a cage that way.
Then the owner saw the kids were fascinated with the bird. He asked if they'd like to play with him. Huh?! Who plays with birds?? He said he'd had the bird since it was only a few weeks old, and he'd spent a lot of time training it, playing with it. It's tame, he said, and likes to fly around and meet people. Sure enough, this was a friendly bird. It decided I was fun to hang on, so it would fly around me and then land on my shoulder and nestle in my hair. Creepy at first, yes. But then we were laughing and absolutely delighted, just spending a few minutes hanging out with this little bird.

4 comments:

Veronica Garcia said...

OH MY GOD and it's so beautiful!!

Laura Marchant said...

My mom has the same bird. I would have thought it was tweeter in that picture. She has a great relationship with it too. He will chirp at her and she will whistle back. He sits on her shoulder while she watches tv.

Dawn said...

That's so random---a bird at a salon/barber shop.

That's cool that you were able to play with it!

Leanna said...

You mean in Chicago they typically have birds you can play with? LOL. My Grandma used to have 3-4 birds in the house that we could play with. Of course Grandpa also had thousands of rabbits in a cage (bigger than my living room) that we would climb in to play with.