Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm Afraid of ...

The Dentist.
Not just a little afraid. Panic attack afraid. Hyperventilate kind of afraid.
The last time I saw a dentist was 5 years ago. Does that give some hint about how uncomfortable I am with the dental care industry? I've made 2 appointments recently, and canceled both. You see, the bastards kind people that schedule the appointments give you a date somewhere between 6 weeks and 16 months from the day you call. So, I make my appointment, but then something else comes up in those 16 months and I can't make it.
I'm not sure which is worse - being afraid to see a dentist, or being afraid that if I don't, my teeth will fall out and I'll be doing commercials for Fixodent when I'm 35.

7 comments:

Wineplz said...

2 words: sedation dentistry

carrie said...

I thought of the same thing as Colleen. I'm always hearing commercials for sedation dentistry, so why the heck not?

Kendra Field said...

I feel the same way! I hate to admit it has been awhile. I broke a tooth a couple weeks ago and even talked my way out of going to the dentist (it honestly doesn't hurt!)

Veronica Garcia said...

But if its just a cleaning, you'll be fine!!

Anonymous said...

hang in there... i went to the dentist 6 months ago and he filled some of my teeth that had chips.

now the fillings have fallen out already and i have to go back.

Monique said...

This my friend we have in common. I haven't been since 05.

Red Lotus Mama said...

I have heard of this kind of fear which is why sedation dentistry started. I didn't go for more than 2 years because of my fear and it got worse every year. I have horrible teeth and have forced myself to be better at flossing, brushing and gargling. From that I have had almost perfect cleanings. That has helped my fear of going to the dentist. Find yourself a good sedation dentist and invest in a Sonicare tooth brush and you will be all good.