Thursday, May 24, 2012

What ARE These Emotions?

As I get older, I'm finding small cracks in my armor. Last night at the kids' concert, I found myself actually getting choked up when my boy was on stage, thinking about how after next week, he'll be done with this grammar school where he's spent so many years, and he'll be moving on to something new.
And then when I went to say that to my husband, my voice cracked. And I thought, "What the ..??" That's not supposed to happen!
When tucking my little one in last night, he sang me a lullaby. My heart almost exploded. Leading me to question, who has turned on the great faucet of emotion I've got going on here?
Last month, while on vacation, we were watching a fireworks extravaganza in the happiest place on Earth, and I looked over and saw my 3 guys looking up, eyes wide, smiles wider, and the light and colors from the fireworks reflected on their faces, and the absolute love, happiness and gratitude I felt at that moment literally made my chest hurt.

Once upon a time, I held these people when they were tiny and brand new, and honestly believed at the time that it was humanly impossible to love them - and their father - any more than I did at that moment.

I was wrong.

No comments: