Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Children and Narcotics

The Belly tested negative for bacterial stuff at the doctor's office. The doctor checked his ears and lungs, all clear. Her conclusion?
"Is this influenza? Probably. H1N1? Possibly. Some kind virus? Definitely."
She didn't test him for H1N1 though, which didn't even occur to me until after we left her office.
What she did give him was cough medicine with codeine. I'm very skeptical about narcotics and kids. It makes me nervous. She gave me the script and told me to think about it, and said that at the very least it would quiet his cough enough to let him get some sleep. At the end of the day, I got it filled. It backfired, I think. He certainly felt better for a little while. He beat up his dad for stealing his Skittles, then got into a tickle fight with his brother. Then he went up and jumped on my bed for a while. He did get some sleep last night, even if he tossed and turned all night, keeping ME awake.
The dr gave a refill on the cough syrup - is that for the Mom that isn't getting any sleep?!

3 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Glad to hear it helped. When BG was a baby her doctor prescribed cough medicine. I took it to the pharmacist and he insisted he wouldn't fill it. Come to find out the doc had not written the script clearly and put the one that had narcotics in it. She was less than a year old. I was so glad the pharmacist knew what he was doing and wouldn't give it to me until he could speak with the doctor himself. It can be scary.

Dawn said...

Giving kids strong meds is always scary. Why did the doctor already give a refill? Was the first script for a small dose?

Kendra Field said...

We had an adult dose of that for us and, when you're coughing so badly you can't sleep you think it's a good idea. Let me tell you, it works, you sleep without coughing, but the head splitting headache in the morning was unbearable. ARGH! Just beware! :)