Friday, January 16, 2009

5 Days, 5 Breakfasts

Each morning Hubs and I have gone to a different breakfast place. The only factors used in choosing were A) they were cheap and B) we'd never visited them before. That was fun, but an awful expensive venture for Mrs. No Job. I've eaten more eggs, pancakes and green peppers than should be legal.

Last night Hubs went to the garage (which was showing a balmy -5 temp) to program the replacement garage door opener. He came in walking crooked with a big lump on his head and said, "I thought you weren't going to leave me alone anymore?!" You see, there's a running joke between us that he's not allowed to do home improvement projects when I'm not home because he always manages to injure himself. Last night though, he really had me worried. His eyes were following my finger (I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV) but he was ... sluggish. He said something about a reflex response, so I hit him. He wasn't sure whether to laugh or punch me, so I figured he wasn't dying. I made him put frozen veggies - a lovely, colorful blend - on his head for 20 minutes, but he was falling asleep. EVERYONE knows you're not supposed to go to sleep after a head injury, right?! Wrong. WebMD said it was okay, as long as he didn't throw up or fall into such a deep sleep that he wouldn't wake up. Well, to make sure he wasn't suffering from a subdural hematoma, I woke him up every 30 minutes. Oh yeah, he hated me. But there was no way I was going to let him die and leave my kids with nothing but an unemployed mother!

Speaking of which, I just realized yesterday that the only life insurance I had was through work. So now if I get hit by a bus - or more likely, freeze to death, since this IS Chicago - no one gets anything. How terrible is THAT?!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hey!! Great post! I bet he loved the every 30 minute wake ups, but that is so the right thing to do with head trauma. Oh and I have an award for you! Come on by to pick it up!

Leanna said...

Jesse, you crack me up how you can be funny even when you are serious or stressed!

I'm surprised Hubs didn't knock you out so he could get some sleep. ;)

Guess what! I have two awards for you and if you want to play with them then there are a couple of memes you can pick up too!

I'm thinking about you girl!
Hang in there!

ProzacPoet said...

Is it wring that I laughed at your poor hubby's misfortune? Of course, not laughing at him, but your spin on the story definitely gave my poor, itching-to-death-and-can't-sleep-self a chuckle.
Thanks for the comment on my blog, and no I am not part of this tattooed mommas site that you speak of, but am now intrigued. Do share please? :)