Friday, December 19, 2008

Tiny Panic Attack



What you see here are my engagement ring, wedding band, and another thin band. Now, guess which one is most important. The platinum one with diamonds? No. The diamond band? No. The thin, plain, white gold band. Why? Because it belonged to my aunt Noel who is no longer with us. (long, tragic story, I'll spare you since it's the holidays and all) Anyway, somehow it came to be in my possession, and I've worn it off and on for years. It was her wedding band, with a strange inscription inside: "LB to FB 23-25" I was told they'd gotten it at a pawn shop, which would explain why no one understands it.
Anyway, this morning I pulled off my rings so I could apply some hand lotion, and I dropped them. The other two were right there, and I couldn't find Noel's band. My heart started pounding. I crawled around under my desk, moved my file cabinet and started to panic. Eventually I found it under a sticky note. All I could think of was how it was truly the only thing I had left of hers, and how heartbroken my mother -her sister- would be if it were lost.
I've said previously that I try not to attach too much meaning to "things" but sometimes you just can't help it.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh My! That would've given me a heart attack as well.

All three bands are gorgeous though.

Laura Marchant said...

I would have had a heart attack too. That ring looks exactly like my wedding band. I wanted something small and simple to go with my engagement ring.

Chris said...

I wear a thin silver band on my left hand that was my grandfather's original wedding band. I would just freak if I lost it. I take my rings off to apply lotion several times a day. I am so glad you found it.

Leanna said...

Oh girl!! I know exactly how your heart was thumping out of your chest!

My Grandmother gave me her mothers (so my great-grandmothers) wedding ring. I too am VERY paranoid about losing it.

I'm so glad you found it!

Kendra Field said...

You've been tagged!

http://field-bennettfamily.blogspot.com/2008/12/4th-in-4th.html