Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Whole New World

Last night I went to dinner with my mom and the kids. It was late, I was ravenously hungry which means I was dizzy from low blood sugar and not in the mood to play referee between my little darlings. We went to Olive Garden - I loooove Olive Garden and I don't care how cheap/boring/mediocre anyone thinks it is. When we were seated I practically fell into my chair... bad idea! They have wheels. So, after apologizing to the woman behind me, I'm growling at the server to skip the pleasantries and bring me food. I'm sure this isn't going to be a pleasant dinner since Belly had already insulted the kid behind us who was crying by asking if he was a baby. He wasn't, and that made him cry harder. Then I ram the kid's mom with my chair. Can we change this to a take out order???

Then a strange thing happened. My kids started telling jokes and quizzing each other on their favorite cartoons. Golden Boy does a good Alex Trebek impersonation. For once, they didn't antagonize one another or fight over anything. They both ATE their meals. That may not sound like anything noteworthy to people without kids, but lemmetellya, my kids rarely eat anything they order. Not only did they eat their meals, they SHARED them. Yes, I wanted to stand up and sing like a Disney princess.... "It's a whole new world! A brand new place I never knew!"
They continued with the jokes and trivia through dessert. The women at the next table (no, not the one we assaulted) were pointing at us and saying, "Look, they're having so much fun!" We left there all smiles and hugs.

Who are these children, and what have they done with mine?


Me, after lots of cosmetic surgery ------>

6 comments:

Monique said...

I love Olive Garden! Looks like you are teaching your kids well. I wish I could have been there to hear the Alex Trebek impersonation.

Veronica Garcia said...

Who said there was anything wrong with Olive Garden, so what if it's not "authentic" Italian food. The food there is great! So are their Sangrias. Yummy! That's what helps my trips out in public with the child monster. =)

carrie said...

totally know what you mean about the whole thing! It's a good thing we don't have money to go out on a regular basis, because it's usually mayhem with the gremlins. You must've been in shock afterwards. It's almost hard to enjoy when they behave properly because you're sitting there wondering where the heck you are!

J said...

I've had times like this when my kids are perfect angels. Makes me wonder where the pod people have put my real children as well.

Valarie said...

I enjoyed reading your blog here. I LOVE the Olive Garden too. You can't go wrong with salad and breadsticks.
We had one of these "outings" with my 4 children last weekend. I almost don't want to ever go eat at that same restaraunt again because I now have such fond memories of eating there. I know if we take them back again those memories will be crushed to bits.

dusty said...

thanks for putting that song in my head for the rest of the weekend... DAMN YOU!

may harry smite you with a bratwurst.. and not across your head either!

and carabas can kick olive gardens ass all day long!!!