Thursday, December 11, 2008

Overheard

Belly is wasting time upstairs, waiting for his brother to get out of the bathroom. Hubs is playing video games on Xbox Live, and talking crap online. He offhandedly calls something "retarded" and Belly walked up to him and said, "You can't use that word, Daddy. We don't use that word. If you don't like something, you can say it's irritating." Daddy quickly apologized for his impropriety.

That's my boy :)

I'd been guilty of dropping the R word before a lightning bolt hit me and I realized just how hurtful that word can be. I know and love children who are developmentally disabled, and I'd never allow anyone to hurt their feelings. Hence, that word is not allowed. Ever.

4 comments:

Kendra Field said...

Good for your boy! I have to say I've been guilty of dropping the r bomb as well, but now with 2 boys classified as DD things have REALLY changed and it's very close to home. Thanks for you boy for stopping the cycle!

Laura Marchant said...

Ever college and working with kids I can never use that word. So painful when used wrongly. Way to go Belly!

Leanna said...

Go Belly!!

I too used to use that word just meaning "silly", "crazy", "non-sense"... without thinking about it.

Now it just doesn't sound right! If it gets said we say "did you just say the R word?". So, it is no longer used here either.

Dawn said...

That's awesome. Go him.