Thursday, June 10, 2010

"I Was Meant for More Than This"

Oh my dear, abandoned, pushed aside blog! It's funny, I started blogging as a way to vent, share and be able to jot down my musings and experiences for... well, I don't know.
But here I am, busy as the day is long, and in need of venting and sharing, and I've stayed away from the blog here.
No more!
So here's where we are, dear reader: My mom's been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, and had surgery last week to remove a lump from her neck. Today we meet with the oncologist to discuss the next steps, which will be chemo and/or radiation.
Terrifying? Absolutely. Before there was a solid diagnosis, they thought it was lung cancer that had already spread. all I could think was that even though she irritates me on a regular basis, she's my mother, and I can't bear losing her. Over the last year or so, we've finally gotten into a rhythm of talking and hanging out without constantly arguing. She's my shopping buddy, and my confidant. I can tell her anything and she will always support me (unless it has to do with punishing my kids....) no matter what. She's on my side, right or wrong.
I tell her that cancer sucks, but that this will be over by the end of summer, and it's something she'll be able to put behind her.
My uncle is on his way to pick me up, because he's going to the oncologist appointment with her. My grandparents were invited to lunch today to present a unified front and show our support. However (and this is where it gets fun) they live in my aunt's building, and my aunt has decided to sue my uncle. So while they're battling it out in court and out, my aunt told my grandmother that if my uncle shows up in court this morning, he's going to be arrested because she's having him charged with molesting her when she was a child. So my grandparents are afraid to see my uncle for fear of pouring gas on the flame of my aunt's insanity. Oh, and they've got to get 6 dog licenses today, because their neighbor's called the city and reported them for having too many dogs. *sigh*

And I'm sitting here, watching Mark Consuelos and Kelly Ripa host Live! with Bradley Cooper visiting. This makes me want to quit working and stay home to watch daytime tv forever.

2 comments:

Veronica Garcia said...

at first, emotion took over and I started to tear... I kept reading and then anger set in... it's such a shame when negativeness affects more than just the person feeding it. Here's to hoping it all works out for you and your family!

Laura Marchant said...

Oh my gosh I am so sorry. I am keeping you, your mom and your family in my thoughts.