Friday, January 9, 2009

Elvis and My Dad

Today would be my dad's 53rd birthday. And in case you don't know, I'm an Elvis girl. My dad was an Elvis guy, so I come by it honestly. When I was little, I thought my dad even looked like Elvis. Well, if Elvis had been much thinner and Puerto Rican, I suppose. But to me, it fit. My dad had that big smile and the jet black hair, and he sure sang a lot. What's odd is that I swear I never knew they shared a birthday. Last night I thought, "Wow, there's a lot of Elvis stuff on today." but I thought I'd only noticed because my dad was on my mind. How could I not know this?! Something so obvious? It was one of those times I wanted to pick up the phone and call my dad to tell him.... but of course I can't do that, because my dad died in 1995.
So I was watching an Elvis special last night, after Hubs went to work and the kids were asleep. Sometimes I feel like it's still something I can still share with my dad, this love of Elvis. So last night, I'm watching "Elvis by the Presleys" and it showed a lot of concert clips. Toward the end they showed Elvis singing a song to his daughter, saying that her daddy would be gone someday but not to worry, because he'd always love her.
Yeah, I cried.
They talked about Priscilla leaving Elvis, and how they still loved each other, and how Elvis spent so much time with them because he couldn't stand to be away from her and his daughter. Yeah, it was the story of my parent's divorce. Couldn't live together, couldn't live apart.
But last night I decided not to dwell on any of that. My dad was an easy going guy, didn't like people to be sad. So I turned off the tv, smiled and said, "Happy birthday, Pop."

No comments: